Favorite Quotes

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."
— Emilie Buchwald

“The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
-- Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Preschool Storytime: Penguin Theme

Welcome

Welcome everyone to storytime and thank them for attending.

Opening Song

Welcome Train
Children sit on the floor. All sing the beginning of the song while seated. Then when the welcome to (child's name) verse is sung, each child in turn gets up and joins a line (making the train.)

The welcome train is coming

Get on board! Choo- Choo
The welcome train is coming
Get on board! Choo-Choo

Welcome to (child's name)
Get on board! Choo-choo

Continue naming each child in your group with the same 2 lines over and over again until you have included each child's name.... When every child is standing in line, sing the 1st verse again at least 3 times while moving around the floor in a circle. Stop when everyone is back at their starting seat, and say Stop! Sit Down!

Motions: bend arms at elbows and slide arms backwards and forwards to make the train motion. When you say Choo-choo, Raise one hand in the air to pull the cord on the invisible whistle!
Note: a train whistle could be a fun way to call the
group together and get started.

From: http://www.atozkidsstuff.com/welcome.html

Introduce Puppet Penguin

Introduce the group to Mr. Penguin (puppet). He can help you read today's stories, sing the songs, etc.

Picture Book Reading

Pfister, M. (1987). Penguin Pete. Faellanden, Switzerland: North-South Books.

Action Rhyme

I'm a Little Penguin
Tune: "I'm A Little Teapot"

I'm a little penquin short and stout.
I flap my wings and waddle about.
I wear a coat that's black as night.
But my tummy is soft and white.

I'm a little penquin black and white.
I like to waddle across the ice.
When I reach the water, I dive right in.
I hunt for fish, as I swim, swim, swim.
by Jean Warren

Children make the motions of the penguin. Repeat as children are interested.

Song with Participation

Penguin Colors
Tune: "Mary Had A Little Lamb"

The penguin has a coat of black,
Coat of black, coat of black.
The penguin has a coat of black,
Watch her waddle up and back.

The penguin has a body of white,
Body of white, body of white.
The penguin has a body of white.,
Watch her waddle out of sight.
Jean Warren
Have one child put on a white shirt and a black coat, then act out the song as the others sing. Repeat as appropriate, allowing other children to have a turn being the penguin.

Non-fiction Book Sharing

Gibbons, G. (1998). Penguins! New York: Holiday House.

Use the puppet penguin to point out the descriptions in the book.

Rhyme with Puppet

The Penguin
by Roxanne Williams
I am a bird you know quite well,
All dressed in black and white.
And even though I do have wings
They're not designed for flight.
I waddle, waddle, waddle,
On my funny little feet.
Across the icy snow I go
To find a fishy treat!

Movement Activity

Penguin Shuffle

Penguins shuffle shuffle to the
Left left left
Penguins shuffle shuffle shuffle to the
Right right right
Give a little wiggle
Give a little hop
Waddle round the iceberg
Never want to stop!

From: http://web.archive.org/web/20070809043826/http://www.mrspohlmeyerskinderpage.com/

Children perform the action described.

Picture Book Sharing

Wood, A. (1989). Little Penguin's tale. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.

Picture Book Sharing

Lester, H., & Munsinger, L. (1988). Tacky the penguin. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Rhyme

Penguin
I know a bird That cannot fly: Penguin is its name.
It cannot fly, But it can swim
With speed that wins it fame!
I know a bird That lives on ice
And waddles by the sea.
It looks so cute
In its black and white suit,
As handsome as can be!

by Meish Goldish

Closing Song

Skidamarink

Skinnamarink y dinky dink
Skinnamarink y doo
I love you!
Skinnamarink y dinky dink
Skinnamarink y doo
I love you!
I love you in the morning
And in the afternoon
I love you in the evenin'
And underneath the moon!
Skinnamarink y dinky dink
Skinnamarink y doo
I love you! I love your singin'!
I love you.,. Are terrific…
I love you! We'll see you next time!
I—love-- you!
Two, Boop-boop, bee-doo!
Mwaaa!

Optional Art Activities

Paper Penguin

Provide pre-cut pieces of a penguin (black body, white body, black arms, orange beak, etc.) and have children assemble a penguin and glue it to a piece of paper.

Painting a penguin

Provide black, white and orange paint along with paper. Children can paint a picture of a penguin.

Other options:

There are many penguin craft ideas on the following websites:

http://www.first-school.ws/THEME/animals/birds/penguin.htm

http://www.freekidscrafts.com/penguin_crafts-t86.html

http://www.preschooleducation.com/apenguin.shtml








No comments:

Post a Comment